Saturday, February 9, 2008

Obstacles to Overcome

Childcare is not so much of an issue right now, but transportation is. As far as childcare goes, my landlady, (who also happens to be my best friend's mom) is an angel. She, having also been a single mom at much more difficult point in history than today, is very understanding about my needing a leg up in order to get on my feet. She is more helpful than even my parents have been, but then again I don't wish to impose. Her offer is not a permanent solution. I have to find adequate childcare still, but at least I can start a job and have proof of employment that I need for such subsidy. I wonder, what happens to other single parents in similar situations? I am indeed lucky, but until she discussed this with me, I had to turn down at least 4 different jobs.

The other issue with childcare, other than cost and subsidies, is the times the facilities are open from and till. If most jobs are from 8:30am or 9am till about 4:30pm or 5pm, then why aren't these childcare facilities staying open in order to accommodate that? If I get off work at 5pm and then get out of the building, wait for a bus and walk over from the stop to the facility, that is going to go way over 1/2 hour. It is not reasonable. I don't even think that it is reasonable to think that a person who drives could do that. So, the places I have checked so far that are open till 6pm only start at 7:30am, and the places opening at 7am close at 5:30pm. So, parents get screwed either way. I will get back to the unrealistic structures of childcare in Ontario in another post. I will look more thoroughly into this issue.

However, there is the problem of transportation. Should I feed my child this month or save my money for buying bus tickets to take me to job interviews? There is a possibility that Ontario Works will provide funds for transportation, but it may have the same catch22 issue as the childcare. At least, I think that is the case, but I will have to check this with my worker. Is it me, or do others see how the system is set up to keep people in it?

I want the *bleep* out.

No comments: